Thursday 3 July 2014

Enjoy a quote, spark a smile. It's the little things.



The Inspirational quote:


I love to read a great quotation. A witty, thought provoking comment, created by a truly great mind.

It doesn’t matter whether a quotation comes from a well-known source or a popularly celebrated mind. However, knowing the reputation of the speaker can allow the listener to look into their thoughts through the lens of the remark.

                “If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t really understand it yourself” – Albert Einstein

A great quote speaks to the listener on many levels. It must have had resonance at the time it was first spoken. It must also hold meaning in the present and it should require the listener to consider a subject from a new perspective.

I have selected a few that inspire me, I hope they speak to you too. 

Commonly heard, because they are great…

                “You must be the change you wish to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi

                “I have not failed, I have just found ten thousand ways that won’t work” – Thomas Edison

                “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars” – Oscar Wilde

Punchy and pointed…

                “The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become” – Mark Twain

                “There is just one life for each of us, our own” – Euripides

                “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened” – Dr. Seuss

A good quote can come from many different sources. Not only carefully drafted speeches made by the respected leaders of an age, but a song that has been so well written that the lyrics speak to any listener. 

Insightful music…

                “Don’t ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to” – Oh Well, Fleetwood Mac

                “I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth” – Substitute, The Who

                “I’m just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord! Please don’t let me be misunderstood” – Don’t let me be misunderstood, Joe Cocker

Music of love…

                “Don’t want to close my eyes, I don’t want to fall asleep, ‘cause I’d miss you babe and I don’t want to miss a thing. ‘Cause even when I dream of you, the sweetest dream will never do, I’d still miss you babe and I don’t want to miss a thing” – Don’t want to miss a thing, Aerosmith

                “Nights in white satin never reaching the end. Letters I've written never meaning to send. Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before. Just what the truth is I can't say anymore” – Nights in white satin, Moody Blues

Even a joke can be a great quote, if it has a deeper meaning and is relevant to the moment.

                “I don’t do drugs, I am drugs” – Salvador Dali

                “For a moment nothing happened, then after a minute nothing continued to happen” – Douglas Adams

                “Women are made to be loved, not understood” – Oscar Wilde

Many of the greatest minds are quoted on a regular basis. If the thought can be expressed clearly then it can be recalled and repeated often. 

I hope some of these thoughts are as powerful for you as they are for me. Think about them only as deeply as you can manage, but remember that sharing a great quote is a great way to spark a really good conversation and a really good conversation may well inspire a thought that turns into a really good quote.

Please take a moment to enjoy the wisdom in a quote, reflect on it, maybe even share it.

Sometimes it’s the little things in life…

Dark Scribbler

No comments:

Post a Comment